"Those who bring sunshine into the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves"

Friday, March 2, 2012

Butties.

Every Friday afternoon I volunteer at Scenic View Academy.
This is a place where adults with Autism can come live or just take day classes. The facility is wayy nice and this place pretty much rocks. It makes me love my friday's

Anyway. So today after the Social Skills class I volunteered in we were playing the game Do You Love Your Neighbor and somehow hoodies were brought up.

Then this man with Asperger's - pretty much the nicest human on the planet - asked what a hoodie was. Keep in mind he is like, 28 or something.

The conversation went a little like this -

Nice Aspergers Man: "Wait, what is a hoodie?"
Beau: "It's just a jacket but with a hood. Like this."
NAM: "So what about ones with buttons? Are those called Butties? What about Zippies?"

HAHA. I died. Soo funny! I think it was more of a you-had-to-be-there situation because of the way he said it and his soft and innocent voice, but it was hilarious!!!!! So great.

I guess it really is a legitimate question and have never thought about that. I realized then how a lot of things in life I don't question and just accept. I've never questioned why things are called hoodies and why jackets are called zippies too... But I think I want to start calling them that :)

Anyway, it's interesting to see the way that adults with different degrees and forms of autism think... I really really enjoy working with them every week... especially playing scatterball!!! Best day ever.

I'll post about my wedding soon, promise!!! Because it was pretty much the best day in the life... and even that would be an understatemenyt
laters

No comments: